10 Awesome Benefits of Drinking Beer
So, your friends tell you that you drink too much. Your significant other tells you that you drink too much. Tell them to shove it – you’re protecting yourself against Atherosclerosis and 9 other ailments!
Now, after a century of studies, scientists have confirmed there are realized benefits of a nice cold beer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
1. Reduces General Heart Disease – Vitamin B6, found in beer, prevents the build-up of homocysteine, an amino acid which has been linked to heart disease. Higher levels of homocysteine in our bodies can make us more susceptible to vascular and heart diseases.
2. Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) -Case studies have shown that 30-35% of men who drink beer in moderation are less likely to have heart attacks. Polyphenol, an antioxidant, is just as much present in beer as it is in red wines.
3. Reduces Risk of Coronary Thrombosis – Coronary thrombosis occurs when the opening of an artery becomes so small, the flow of blood is blocked. Beer acts as a blood thinner, reducing the risk of a heart attack.
“Here’s to alcohol, the cause of –and solution to–all life’s problems.”
4. Reduces Risk of Atherosclerosis – Beer boosts levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the good cholesterol, lowers insulin levels, which is good for non-diabetics because it reduces the chance of developing atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries.
5. Reduces Risk of Kidney Stones – It is not 100% certain why kidney stones form. Genetics and diet have played a major role with those individuals who develop them. Kidney stones may be reduced in middle-aged men by 40%. Scientists are unsure if these results were due to the water, alcohol, or hops.
6. Insomnia – A common disorder that affects 1 out of every 10 adults. A good night sleep is beneficial for you energy level and mood. The general affect of beer has a tendency to make one drowsy.
7. Cancer – The hops in beer contain xanthohumol, a powerful antioxidant. Concentrations of xanthohumol occur naturally in dark beer and can assist your body in stopping the early stages of tumor growth.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
8. Reduces Osteoporosis – Hops in beer contain phyto-estrogens, a compound that will help reduce hot flashes and fight osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Beer should not be used as a replacement for estrogen therapy.
9. Lowers Cholesterol – Moderate consumption of beer has been shown to increase the HDL cholesterol and lowers the low-density lipoprotein (LDL), also know as the “bad cholesterol” in postmenopausal women. Analyzed data suggests more than one or two servings per day is not productive and considered detrimental.
10. Hypertension – Studies have shown a 14% lowered risk in high blood pressure by women consuming two or three beers a week. Hypertension is a disease where the blood pressure is chronically elevated.
An average 12oz beer contains 150 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no caffeine, and is 92% water.